1. Go to Open Casting Calls. Open casting calls are a great way to keep your auditioning skills sharp. You never know, you may make a few contacts and get your name in the heads of some Casting Directors you’ve never met. Even if you’re an experienced actor it never hurts to put yourself out there in any way you can. To keep on top of open calls check this link regularly:
2. Exercise. As an actor your body is your instrument, and casting directors will take note of your physical appearance from the moment you walk through the door. If you're slacking on your figure you may be at a disadvantage if you're a certain type. But nevertheless being physically fit will give you the stamina to live a life that is without routine. Here’s a good resource for a simple home workout when you can’t get to the gym.
3. Go to networking events. Screenings, networking events and conferences are a great way of meeting new people and picking up tips and tricks about all aspects of the industry. We've found that Q&A's for screening films are especially interesting, if you have a chance it's always great to hear what people in the business have to say. Check out this link for ideas:
4. Keep your portfolio current. This is probably the most important! You’ll want to make sure you have recent demo reel and head shots. You may even want to build a website. No matter where you are in your career and experience this is truly your calling card and first impression, so make it a good one. Keep everything updated and keep your presentation top notch. The way you present yourself says a lot about who you are.
5. Create your own opportunities. Find ways to hone your craft and express it. Start an improv group, act in a play, pick up a camera and start a YouTube channel; in the very least you'll be practicing and exercising your skills. Remember that even the greatest actors say they haven't learned everything there is to learn about acting. Or learn more about other jobs in the industry and do some PA work, or intern in a production company or casting office to understand more about the business.
You don’t have to be one of those actors that sit around commiserating on how tough it is. Shift your perspective to an attitude of gratitude for all the ways you can actively take part in pursuing your career goals. This Thanksgiving be thankful that you have the opportunity to pursue a career of your choice, many others around the world don’t have that luxury. And remember that having a passion for something is a blessing and having the opportunity to live your passion is invaluable. Happy Thanksgiving from the Award Winning Reels Team.